Then find the entry for April 19th (it's the one near the bottom)
Download the Asia Government PPT
Monday, February 10, 2014
Friday, January 24, 2014
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Sunday, December 1, 2013
Friday, November 22, 2013
1. Map Skills (you should be able to label the following countries and geographic features on a blank map.
Sahara (Physical Map & Climate Map) Tropical Rain Forest (Climate Map)
Sahel (Climate Map) Savanna (Climate Map)
Congo River (Physical Map) Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire) (Political Map)
Niger River (Physical Map) Egypt (Political Map)
Nile River (Physical Map) Kenya (Political Map)
Lake Tanganyika (Physical Map) Nigeria (Political Map)
Lake Victoria (Physical Map) South Africa (Political Map)
Atlas Mountains (Physical Map) Kalahari Desert (Physical Map)
Sudan (Political Map) South Sudan (Political Map)
2. Define the following key terms (flashcards are a good idea!):
- Desertification – fertile land turning into desert
- Deforestation – mass removal of forests
- Drought – lack of water
- Malaria – deadly disease carried by mosquitoes
- Irrigation – process of providing water to crops through pipes, ditches, or streams
- Culture – a society’s way of life, including language, clothing, food, beliefs, etc…
3. Geography and Climate of Africa: Respond to the following questions in a descriptive and meaningful way.
What are the names of the three major rivers in Africa? Which one is the world’s longest river and which direction does this river flow (north, south, west or east)? Nile, Congo, Niger, the Nile is the longest and it flows north
Describe the 4 climate zones:
Sahara – World’s largest sand desert, very hot and dry
Sahel – Area south of the Sahara, some shrubs, but is a growing desert
Savanna – grasslands with few trees
Tropical Rain Forest – lush forests
4. Environmental Issues of Africa
What is the name of the climate zone where desertification takes place?
What are the main causes of desertification in Africa?
1.) Poor farming practices
Why are African families cutting down trees?
They need more farmland
How is poor soil related to deforestation in sub-Saharan Africa?
Many times, deforestation leads to desertification
What are the two main water issues in Africa?
Water pollution and water shortage
5. Cultures of Africa
What is the difference between an ethnic group and a religious group?
You should know J
What is the prominent religion/beliefs in each of the following cultures:
Bantu: Beliefs they had before Islam and Christianity were introduced
Ashanti: Supernatural and spiritual powers